On 25th February in “Łaźnia” Center for Contemporary Art took place the meeting of the artists and architects taking part in the 4th edition of the International Competition “The Outdoor Gallery of The City of Gdańsk”. During the meeting the participants had the opportunity to get to know the area which is destined to revitalization within the competition: crossroads of the streets Kamienna Grobla, Dobra and Toruńska (including the area of the bridge and river embankment). By creating their projects the artists will be taking into consideration the historical character of the streets and the situating of the areas in the point of pedestrian crossing leading from the places where the winning projects of three previous editions of the competitions were realized, as well as from “Łaźnia” Center for Contemporary Art to medieval fortifications on the border of the Lower Town. What is important, is that the artistic work should be “road sign” to “Łaźnia” and it should harmonize with its surroundings.
The purpose of the meeting were also technical consultations and talks with, for example, representatives of Spatial Development and Environment Protection Commission from City Council of Gdańsk, Roads and Environment Protection Commission of Gdańsk and the team of the office “Gdańsk 2016 – European Capital of Culture”.
All the artists and architects received set of materials that will facilitate preparing of their projects of the work of art inscribed in the area of the Lower City, for example: set of maps, area documentation, photographs, publications and promoting materials in which the project “The Outdoor Gallery of the City of Gdańsk” and the history of the district, with its urban and social problems, were presented.
The list of artists invited to participate in the 4th edition of the competition “The Outdoor Gallery of the City of Gdańsk”:
1. Bert Theis/ Luxembourg
2. Tea Makipaa/ Finland
3. Weronika Kiersztejn & Michał Kozik/ Poland
4. Alexandre Arrechea/ Cuba
5. Olaf Nicolai/ Germany
6. Marcus Miessen/ Germany
7. Sabina Lang & Daniel Baumann/ Switzerland
8. Thorsten Goldberg/ Germany
Until 30th June 2011 the artists will prepare the project for area development for the 4th edition of the competition. The three winning projects will be chosen on 10th July 2011 by the international Jury if the competition:
1. Enrico Lunghi, dyrektor Mudam Luxembourg, Musée d’Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean, Luxemburg
2. Jacek Dominiczak, Akademia Sztuk Pięknych, Gdańsk, Polska
3. Bettina Steinbrügge, kurator Forum Expanded Berlinale, Berlin, Niemcy
4. Adam Budak, kurator Museum-Joanneum w Grazu, Austria
5. Norbert Weber, the member of the international council of the experts of the Latvian Museum of Contemporary Art in Ryga, Latvia
6. Julia Draganovic, art. historian, curator, Modena, Italy
7. Jadwiga Charzyńska, the director of CSW „Łaźnia” in Gdańsk, Poland
The summing up of the 4th edition of “The Outdoor Gallery of the City of Gdańsk” will be the exhibition of the projects taking part in the competition. The vernissage will be combined with awarding the winners and will take place in September in “Łaźnia” Center for Contemporary Art.